The Watertown Unified School District gained national attention this spring when it banned an instrumental piece of music tied to LGBTQ+ history.
Now the district has decided to replace the 2027 spring musical.
In a letter to parents this week, James Feil, who took over as interim superintendent on Aug. 1, said the Watertown High School spring musical hasn’t been canceled, but the district would not proceed with “Flashdance” as this year’s selection.
“I have directed that we move forward with a different production,” Feil wrote.
In his letter, Feil said choir teacher Ryan Moldenhauer has elected not to direct the play that will be chosen to replace Flashdance.
Feil told WPR he was aware of the Spring concert controversy so he wanted to replace Flashdance as soon as possible to avoid a similar incident.
[snip]
Feil told the Watertown Daily Times he has never watched the 1983 film the play is based on. Still, he said, “I wasn’t going to start with an X-rated movie. I didn’t take this judgement lightly. I want to mend some fences and build on the quality work that is already here.”
Related posts:
2026
2025

No comments:
Post a Comment