Sunday, April 22, 2018

The chemistry complex is a major piece of UW-Madison's current building boom


Photo by Retiring Guy

$220 million building boom on UW-Madison campus will modernize chemistry and agriculture facilities.  (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 4/5/2018)
Two floors of undergraduate instructional labs — a total of six teaching labs — will be added to a 10-level, 188,442-gross-square-foot chemistry teaching tower because the university came up with funding that did not exist when the design was approved. Those labs would have been unfinished shells for future construction if the funding had not come through when it did. 
New money generated by the university also will cover renovation of the Daniels chemistry building, modernizing and adding safety features to six undergraduate teaching labs original to the 1964 building. The Daniels renovation will include additional classrooms, student study spaces and offices for undergraduate chemistry staff.

Campus map (red arrow added)

Related link:
Department of Chemistry, University of Wisconsin-Madison 

Churchill Building UPDATE. Is nothing sacred?


Photo by Retiring Guy

Historical Trust withdraws landmark nomination for Churchill building, clearing roadblock for WHS museum expansion.  (Madison.com, 4/16/2018)
The Madison Trust for Historic Preservation has decided to withdraw their historic landmark nomination of a nearby building that, if preserved, would significantly limit the WHS project design. 
The massive proposal, to be funded by the state and a WHS campaign, would redevelop the current museum on the first block of North Carroll Street and expand on the neighboring properties to create a 100,000 square-foot museum. Hovde Properties and landowner Fred Mohs would build up to 250,000 square-feet of commercial and residential space on top of the museum.  [emphasis added]


Original 12/12/2014 post, "The Churchill Building, 16 North Carroll Street, Madison Wisconsin", starts here.

Photo by Retiring Guy

Year construction completed:  1915.
  • Madison's 1st skyscraper (134 feet)
  • Tallest building outside of Milwaukee until completion of State Capitol (1917) 
  • Originally known as the Gay Building; name changed in 1974

Architectural style: Beaux Arts

Architect:  James R. Law, Jr., who also designed the Madison Masonic Temple.

Controversy during the building's construction resulted in the implementation of a height limit for buildings constructed around the Capitol Square, which was overruled by the Wisconsin Supreme Court in 1923.

The Beaux Arts Belmont Hotel opened in 1924.


  From Retiring Guy's postcard collection

In 1987, Madison chose to rename a street located in the heart of its government district in honor of Martin Luther King


At left edge:  City-County Building.  At center:  Wisconsin State Capitol.  At right edge:  Madison Municipal Building.

Photo by Retiring Guy

Whose Neighborhood Should Get a Street Named for Dr. King?  (The New York Times, 4/15/2018)
At least 955 streets in the United States have been named after Dr. King, and they tend to be in lower-income areas with predominantly black populations, said Derek H. Alderman, a professor of geography at the University of Tennessee. But the idea that placing Dr. King’s name on a street somehow causes a community to decline is inaccurate, Dr. Alderman said. It is more likely the other way around.
Related reading:
Madison's Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. re-dedicated 50 years after the civil rights leader's death.  (Wisconsin State Journal, 4/5/2018)
Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard was originally called Monona Avenue, but was renamed to honor the civil rights leader in 1987.

Reimagining the Madison Municipal Building.  (Isthmus, 7/30/2014)
The building opened in 1929 as a courthouse and post office, and the city bought it in 1979.