Saturday, September 30, 2023

Splitting hairs of over book bans at the National Review

 
Headline:  National Review
The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines the verb “ban” as “to prohibit especially by legal means” or “to prohibit the use, performance, or distribution of” something.

Here's how Merriam-Webster defines the verb sense of  'censor'.  


Recommended reading for Abigail Anthony
 
New York Times, 9/1/2023
A couple of weeks ago, before the start of another school year, I found myself standing in the middle of the stacks in our high school library, my heart sinking. I had come in search of five books that I needed to read to make the final determination about whether they would remain on the shelves for our students or be boxed up and stored in my office, not to be seen by the students under penalty of law. 
The one book that especially pained me was “Friday Night Lights” by H.G. Bissinger.


Related posts:
Tender Sensibilities:  American Enterprise Institute clown freaks out over use of the word 'penis' in a memoir!  (9/13/2023)  Just like someone else I know.
What's the matter with Iowa?  GOP hypocrisy and Kimmi the Clown's crackpot education policies.  (8/10/2023)

No comments: