July 12, 2012. Dane County Board adopts Resolution 292, 2011-12, which recognizes housing as a human right and affirms that providing access to this basic need both temporarily and permanently for those who desire a place of shelter is a priority.
September 20, 2012. Dane County Board adopts Sub. 1 to Resolution 84, 2012-13. (See pages 49-50 for amendment language).
February 1, 2013. Recommendations submitted to Health and Human Needs Committee.
Outline of report
- Existing day services
- Summary of programs in other locations
- Recommended services and facility attributes for a permanent day resource center
- Background on siting and location
- Criteria for siting
- Central/Isthmus location
- Near bike and major bus routes
- Proximity to compatible services
- Sensitivity to nearby service facilities
- Commercial or mixed-use area
- Appropriate zoning
- 4,000 to 8,000 square feet minimum
- General location
- East to First Street
- West to Randall Street
- Between the lakes to Wingra Drive south on Park St.
- Process for siting
- March 1. RFP released for operator.
- March 1. RFP released for facility (optional)
- March 1. Location determined
- March 30. Temporary facility closes.
- May 1. Location determined/facility leased or purchased.
- May 1. Operator selected/contract negotiated.
- October 15. Renovation completed.
- November 1. Facility opened.
- Funding and governance
- Addedum A. Relationship-based community justice.
August 13, 2013. After 2 proposals were rejected because the sites were not centrally located, the Homeless Issues Committee recommended that the site RFP be re-issued with expanded geographic boundaries and that the location be within walking distance of a bus line with frequent bus service and bus service on weekends and holidays.
September 20, 2013 . Revised site RFP deadline, One proposal submitted: Madison Area Rehabilitation Center for their property (“MARC-East”) at 3939 Lien Road.
April 3, 2014. Dane County Executive Parisi announced that the County had an accepted an offer to purchase for 1490 Martin St., owned by Porchlight, Inc.
April 10, 2014. First neighborhood meeting with the Arboretum Neighborhood Association.
June 11, 2014. Town of Madison panel rejects Dane County's plan for a homeless day shelter.
July 14, 2014. Town of Madison appealing county zoning decision on proposed, homeless day shelter.