Friday, August 7, 2026

GET ME REWRITE: Arkansas GOP state representative and wifebeater announces his resignation

 
What's up with these hinky GOP white men?

Mugshot and headline:  Arkansas Advocate, 8/5/2026

House Speaker Brian Evans on Wednesday announced that Republican Rep. Austin McCollum resigned, days after he was arrested at his Bentonville home. McCollum had served in the state House representing Benton County since 2017. 
Investigators said McCollum punched his wife in the face and slammed her head against the ground during an argument early Saturday morning. He faces charges of aggravated assault, domestic battering and false imprisonment. 
McCollum did not mention the arrest in his resignation letter, dated Wednesday. 
As I focus on my family, I do not intend to fulfill the remainder of my House term,” McCollum wrote. “I am thankful to the people of House District 8 for the honor of serving all of Arkansas these past nearly 10 years.”
 
According to Merriam-Webster, the first known use of 'hinky', as in nervous/jittery/suspicious, occurred in 1956.

  1. angsty
  2. beat one's brains out
  3. bombed
  4. decaf
  5. meltdown
  6. worry beads

No comments: