Tuesday, January 31, 2023

On this day in 1976 (Warren Pennsylvania)

 

               Today I should have heard from Springfield.  It looks as though I won't be recovering from my skid of last August for some time.  At this point, I'm not too concerned about my unstable situation.  The following week's schedule of movies is excellent.

               So why do I sit here?  I knew if I smoked some grass (and ass-whippin' weed it is) I'd lose my initiative.  Fortunately, not all of my good sense has deserted me.  When I came downstairs, I was tempted to turn on the TV to watch Let's Make a Deal, but resisted.  Glancing at the stack of records Larry brought over tonight, I intelligently decided that listening to music would be a preferable idea.  I haven't heard Where the Eagle Flies in six months, not to mention J. J.Cale and Audience.

               In a further effect to secure employment, I applied at PDM and Sylvania this afternoon.  The personnel manager at PDM mentioned that the company would be hiring in a few weeks.  Of course, he made no promises.  He did add that those with the necessary experience would naturally have a better chance.  For me, if I do get the job, it will be a fortuitous occasion, similar to my good fortune in getting the Penelec job three years ago.  Hopefully, the job would not be the same 8-hour day of monotony that I suffered through at there.  For $5 an hour, I won't quibble.  I'm too anxious to start paying off my two debts.  It'll be at least another two years, however, before I see daylight on that score.

Warren generating station of Penelec
(from Retiring Guy's postcard collection)

Related posts:
January 31, 1075

No comments: