From the Wisconsin Historical Society Library Archives:
Division for Library Services
43.13 Division review. (Created in 1971.)
(1) (a) [Creation of a public library system.] No public library system may be established without the approval of the division.
In reviewing final reports submitted by county library planning committees, the division shall consider,
- in addition to the standards set forth in s. 43.15,
- the proposed system territory,
- organization and financing,
- initial and long−range plans for library services,
- the role of existing multi−jurisdictional service programs in the territory and
- plans for cooperation with adjoining systems and with other kinds of libraries in the territory.
(b) [Approval of final report] If the division approves a final report, it shall report such approval to the appropriate county boards and county library planning committees. Upon acceptance by the county boards, the division shall certify to the appropriate county boards the establishment of the public library system proposed by the report, specifying the effective date of the establishment of the system.
(2) A public library system board may submit to the division a plan for the
- alteration in the territory included within the system or for a
- change in system organization from a federated to a consolidated system or vice versa.
(3) The effective date of the establishment of a system under sub. (1) or of a change under sub. (2) shall be January 1 of the year specified by the division.
(4) [Appeal process] Any decision by the division under this section may be appealed to the state superintendent.
1971 Senate Bill 47. 43.13 is created.
1995 Wisconsin Act 27. 43.13 (4) of the statutes is amended to read: Any decision by the division under this section may be appealed to the
2005 Wisconsin Act 226. 43.13 (3) of the statutes is amended to read: The effective date of the establishment of a system under sub. (1) or of a change under sub. (2) shall be January 1 of the year specified by the division,
Going to extremes in preparing for a workshop?
Part 1: Legislative findings and declaration of policy.
Part 2: Definitions.
Part 3: General duties of the State Superintendent.
Part 4: General duties of the Division.
Part 5: Council on Library and Network Development.
Part 6: Certificates and standards..
Part 7: County library planning committees.
Part 8: County payment for library service.