(1) "Department" means the department of public instruction.
(2) "Division" means the division for libraries, technology, and community learning in the department.
(3) "Municipality" means a city, village, town, tribal government or tribal association, or a school district that maintained and operated a public library facility prior to December 17, 1971.
(4) "Network" means a formal arrangement between libraries or other informational service organizations whereby materials, information and services are exchanged and made available to potential users.
(5) "Public library system" means a system established as either a federated public library system under s. 43.19 or a consolidated public library system under s. 43.21.
(6) "State superintendent" means the state superintendent of public instruction.
- Summary: The provisions of this bill setting forth the method of establishing and supporting public library systems are found in section 15 . Present law relating to municipal libraries is modernized and is retained in ch. 43. Those portions of ch. 43 which do not relate to municipal libraries or public library systems are renumbered to appropriate sections of the statutes.
- 28 pages of underscored and stricken text.
- Interesting sidelight: Prior to this law, Chapter 43 covered "Libraries, Museums, Civic and Community Centers, and Special Uses of Municipal Buildings".
1977 Assembly Bill 1220. (290 pages of underscored and stricken text. Miscellaneous changes for "library", as search term, found on pages 61, 62, 141, 157, 268, 275, 276, 278.)
1979 Assembly Bill 20. Summary An act to repeal 15.377 (2) and (3), 43.01 and 43.09 (3) ; to amend 43.001 (4) and 43.24 (3) ; to repeal and recreate 43.03, 43.05, 43.07 and 43.24 (1) ; and to create 15.377 (6), 43.001 (5) and 43.27 of the statutes, relating to...
- abolishing the council on library development and the council on public library certificates and standards,
- creating a council on library and network development,
- assigning duties relating to library services in this state, state aids to public library systems and making an appropriation.
1983 Wisconsin Act 189. Among the 27 pages of underscored and stricken text: SECTION 23 [of the bill]. 43.001 (2), (3), (4) and (5) of the statutes are renumbered 43.001 (5), (4), (2) and (3) . Anyone remember thre reason(s) why?
1985 Wisconsin Act 177. 8 pages of miscellaneous changes to Chapter 43. The section describing the services of the Reference and Loan Library [43.05(11)] more than doubled in length. (See page 2.)
1993 Wisconsin Act 335. Name change. From Division of Library Services to Division for Libraries and Community Learning.
1995 Wisconsin Act 27. Language changes pertaining to the Office of the State Superintendent of Public Instruction.
1997 Wisconsin Act 27. Language changes pertaining to the Office of the State Superintendent of Public Instruction.
2001 Wisconsin Act 48. Name change. From Division for Library and Community Learning to Division for Libraries, Technology, and Community Learning.
Getting to know chapter 43 (Part 1)