Monday, February 6, 2023

On this day in 1973: Unfinished letter to a college friend


CONTEXT.  The letter was written less than two months after college graduation and seven months before starting graduation at the University of Pittsburgh.   An 8-month period of transition, in other word, brought on by a lack of long-range planning during my final semester at UB.  

Postcards from Retiring Guy's collection

 
Tuesday, February 6. 

Dear Kenny, 

I suppose you've been wondering what I've been up to lately. If I remember correctly, I told you I had been thinking of returning to California. I did go back but it was only to visit, sort of a last fling. I saw my friends in and around Laguna. Once again I could have worked at the Cottage, but the thought of that was revolting and frightening. That situation this time around would have just been nowhere. I would have saved little and just wouldn't have been able to live there contentedly. Before returning East I stopped in Berkeley to visit Tony and had a very nice visit with him. He's really doing fine there and is enjoying the school and its surroundings. His roommates are really great guys and I enjoyed meeting and getting to know them. 


So now I'm staying at home, applying for jobs around town. As of now it looks like I'll be working at the Electric Company starting next week. The pay is nearly $4.00/hr, so it will be a good job from which to save money. This summer, through the benefit of a state program, I'll probably be working at the public library here. In the fall I'm going to graduate school for library science. I plan to apply at the following four schools as a beginning: Pitt, U of Minnesota, U of Maryland, and Simmons (Boston). 

My friend Mike is going to grad school at the U of Akron in the urban studies program, and on my way back to Warren I stopped to visit with him. I had taken him back there at the beginning of January and he was a nervous wreck, but now everything is going smoothly for him. Barb is living at home now so at least there's someone else here to keep me company. She's planning to return to Boston as soon as she has sufficient funds. Her mother passed away last fall so things have been somewhat unstable for her. But she's getting herself together again and prefers to return to Boston as soon as she can make it. 

Some weekend after I start working and get some extra money, I'll have to drive down to Philly and visit with you and Herb. How are things going for you anyway? 

Still working night and day? I'm sure you're doing great


No comments: