Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Eric Feld and Sadie Cooke Dump Facebook, Start Trend

Link to April 26 ABC News report, "Deactivated: College Students Giving up Facebook...By Choice".

Apparently, Lauren McGaha based this report on two interviews with college students.   At least that's all the evidence she offers.

Link to February 3, 2010, Pew Internet & American Life Project report, "Social Media and Young Adults".

Excerpt: New survey results also show that among adults 18 and older, Facebook has taken over as the social network of choice; 73% of adult profile owners use Facebook, 48% have a profile on MySpace and 14% use LinkedIn. “Blogging appears to have lost its luster for many young users,” said Lenhart. “The fad stage is over for teens and young adults and the move to Facebook -- which lacks a specific tool for blogging within the network -- may have contributed to the decline of blogging among young adults and teens.

Retiring Guy's not saying that things can't change quickly in this wireless world but a couple of anecdotes do not build a convincing case.

1 comment:

E.R. said...

I googled my name for the fun of it and I see that my day of celebrity status lives on! I was just as shocked as you at the implication that I might be considered a trendsetter just by deactivating Facebook. Certainly nobody has said anything to me about being inspired to do the same because of my decision to get off of there. Perhaps Lauren was simply trying to shock her audience that there are people out there who would dare to do such a thing! Whatever the case, I'll continue making phone calls and knocking on doors when I want to talk to people because that's good enough for me:)

Thanks for the post!