Wednesday, January 27, 2010

In Case You Missed It: The Dogs of Wisconsin Libraries

From the About page:

How This Collection Came to Be
As part of my job at WiLS, I visit libraries. My husband and I have dogs, and at some point, I started asking librarians for photographs of their dogs. Since I was meeting with a lot of catalogers (notorious cat people), I didn't collect as many as I had hoped, but eventually I had about 50 photographs of dogs pinned up on the wall in my office.

Since CONTENTdm seemed like such an easy way to manage a digital collection, I started entertaining the idea of using it to make a Dogs of Wisconsin Libraries project. In December of 2004, I posted an online survey and sent it to people who had expressed interest in having their dog or dogs included in the project, and word spread. The collection debuted in April of 2005 and since November of 2005, people have been able to add their own dogs and metadata via the web. For information on adding dogs, email Kirsten Houtman at khoutman@wils.wisc.edu or visit our website at www.wils.wisc.edu.

No comments: