What the facility looked like when it first opened. (Undated picture postcard)
What the facility looks like today. (The best I could do to replicate the postcard under the circumstances.)
An alternate view. The VA Hospital is now part of a sprawling, interconnected medical complex.
A very general hospital timeline
- 1949 - construction begins
- 500 beds
- 1951 - opens in September (155th Veterans Administration facility)
- 1960 - redesignated from a T.B. facility to general medical and surgery hospital
- 1976 - name officially changed to William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital
- 1996 - Ambulatory Surgery and Outpatient Procedures Unit opens
More about the hospital.