Common Cause in Wisconsin
More specifically, have your state senator and representative signed on in support of Senate Bill 163/Assembly Bill 185?
Right now, it's a mostly blue world.
To complete the Assembly blue, we need Bewley, Doyle, Kessler, and Richards,
On the Republican side, we need 17 senators and 59 representatives. But then the latest redistricting process worked out quite well for them.
Specific guidelines of the legislation include:
- The plan must be based on population requirements imposed under the Wisconsin Constitution and the U.S. Constitution and requirements imposed under Section 2 of the federal Voting Rights Act, (Sidebar: Texas Republican Party Platform Calls For Repeal Of Voting Rights Act Of 1965)
- The senate and assembly districts established in the plan must satisfy equal population standards specified in the bill.
- District boundaries under the plan must coincide with municipal ward boundaries and, to the extent consistent with the Wisconsin Constitution, the U.S. Constitution, and Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act, must coincide with the boundaries of political subdivisions.
- Districts must be composed of convenient contiguous territory.
- To the extent consistent with the requirements described in items 1. to 3., districts must be compact.
- In preparing the plan, the LRB must be strictly nonpartisan.
A trio of non-responses in this redistricting story. (4/22/2013)
Actually, Robin, Your Riposte is Patently Absurd. (12/30/2012)Expect a Frigid Reception from Wisconsin Republicans to This Redistricting Bill. (12/7/2012)
Close, but no cigar, in this Republican redistricting effort to steal an Assembly seat. (11/20/2012)
Redistricting in Wisconsin: The plumber controls the spigot. (11/15/2012)
Eric Litke can't see the forest for the trees. (11/12/2012)
Robin Vos and religious imagery. (10/15/2012)
The faces of gerrymandering. (10/9/2012)
What it's all about in Wisconsin. (8/1/2012)
Who's running for state office in Wisconsin: 31st Assembly District. (7/4/2012)
Not anymore! (2/7/2012)
Redistricting in Wisconsin: the Basics. (12/6/2011)
Define "judicial activism". (12/3/2011)
More headaches but this time Sen. Lazich has the cure. (10/27/2011)
Legislative redistricting in Wisconsin, part 2. (10/24/2011)
Legislative redistricting in Wisconsin, part 1. (10/18/2011)
Legislative Reference Bureau legislative brief: Local redistricting readjustment. (9/6/2011)
Let's call this bill exactly what it is: an unfunded mandate. (7/21/2011)
Wisconsin redistricting plan popeils DeForest, Windsor. (7/21/2011)
Fred Clark gets redrawn out of his district? Just a coincidence, of course. (7/21/2011)
Oshkosh Northwestern editorial board tells it like it is. (7/29/2011)
Wisconsin legislative redistricting: Abandoned principles, interactive maps, bill text, and more. (7/13/2011)
Congressional redistricting in Wisconsin. (6/19/2011)