Wednesday, August 10, 2011

"Faces of Learning" Success Story (with a Library Connection)


Milton Whitley: Facing His Fear Of Learning To Read. (WAMU radio, 8/3/2011)

Excerpt: Milton Whitley dropped out of school at age 14 and was not able to read or write for the first 52 years of his life. He ended up homeless -- without any real hope of learning to read -- until he met a tutor in a Montgomery County public library. His education re-started in 2005, when he visited a dental clinic.

I go there, and I ask the lady, 'Can you help me fill the form out?' She said, 'No, you have to do it.' I looked at her, and said, 'Ma'am, I cannot do it.' I sat there most of the whole day, looking at the paper, just looking at it. So I start checking off boxes, random, and gave it back to her. She laughed out loud, with people sitting in there. She said, 'You're pregnant?' And I walked out
.

No comments: