Sunday, June 19, 2022

Once upon a time, teachers told their students, "'Ain't' ain't in the dictionary"

 

In Retiring Guy's case, it started in the late 1950s.

Dictionary definition:  Merriam-Webster

Now, apparently, it's 'gonna' and 'wanna'.

New York Times, 6/17/2022
My eldest daughter is in elementary school, and I recently started noticing that she was regularly enunciating “going to” and “want to,” no longer saying “gonna” or “wanna,” as many people do in casual speech. I’d say that most of us, on the fly, are more likely to ask, “What time is it gonna be?” than “What time is it going to be?” So, I decided to gently ask her about this, and she said her teachers had told her that “gonna” and “wanna” are not in the dictionary and one should instead say “going to” and “want to.”  [emphasis added]
I’m gonna diverge from this guidance.

Well, lookee here!

No comments: