Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Not the Hot 100


Link to TeachingTips.com, "100 Unbelievably Useful Reference Sites You’ve Never Heard Of", by Lauran Milligan.

Intro: Beyond Google, Wikipedia and other generic reference sites, the Internet boasts a multitude of search engines, dictionaries, reference desks and databases that have organized and archived information for quick and easy searches. In this list, we’ve compiled just 100 of our favorites, for teachers, students, hypochondriacs, procrastinators, bookworms, sports nuts and more.

Of the few sites I checked out, I was most intrigued with Ditto.

And I think that slangsite.com would be more useful with the addition of idioms. (The latter site includes "the whole nine yards", alphabetized under "T". Because it showed up in so few slang dictionaries when I taught Basic Reference courses, this phrase has become the gold standard for my evaluation of slang resources.)

No comments: