Friday, April 6, 2018

Around town UPDATE: Demolition in a day results in expanded parking lot for Middleton Sport Bowl


West-Side Radiator Service, not much of a structure to begin with, was a total loss as a result of last month's explosion.

Photos by Retiring Guy


Middleton Sport Bowl


Original 3/20/2018 post, " Explosion on Elmwood Avenue", starts here.


Photo by Retiring Guy

As I was about to take this photo, I noticed a car signaling to make a right-hand from Elmwood Avenue into the parking lot of the Sport Bowl.  The driver braked to a stop as I moved aside.

"I can't believe this happened!" a woman, who appeared to be about my age, exclaimed as the driver's side window slid open.  "Perry is my garage man.  Do you know how he's doing?"

Having already read the above incident report, I informed her that he was in the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

I pondered the 'garage man' reference as I continued walking home from the Willy Street Coop.  The nondescript building houses West Side Radiator Service and has been in business since before my wife and I moved to Middleton 32 years ago.  I've never understood how it stays in business as it seems to attract few customers.  As far as I'm concerned, Perry, as I now know him, is like the Maytag repairman:  The loneliest man in town.

On the other hand, the fact that an explosion and fire occurred here is not the least bit surprising.  The dimly lit and cluttered interior always looked to be a magnet for mishap. 

Other Around Town posts:
Googling 'Henry Hubbard'.  (3/18/2018) 
A not-so-faded Flo strikes a new pose.  (3/12/2018)

No comments: