Key Challenge Areas for Libraries in an Online Age. A number of societal trends have the potential to severely affect libraries, particularly as these move into the online information delivery environment.
- Access from multiple locations
- From card catalog (local holdings only, even at a branch library)
- to computer workstations (holdings of multiple locations)
- Making more resources available
- Bibliographic records +
- abstract and indexing services +
- non-library information resources
- Making information available in rawer forms
- Indexing and abstract services
- Searchable index terms or descriptors......
- .....searchable abstracts to ....
- ......full text of articles and books
- More specifically.......(Oshkosh grocery store locations map based on Oshkosh City Directories research.)
- Online library catalogs
- Bibliographic records and subject headings
- Tables of contents information
- Full-text and page images
- Diminishing roles for intermediaries
- More interaction with online systems
- Less interaction with librarians
- Circulation self-service
The Shape of the 21st Century Library, by Howard Besser (1996): Notes, Quotes & What-Not, Part 1m Other Insitutions Are Changing: The Rise of Large Stores and Chains. (11/20/2012)