Thursday, October 31, 2013

Probably Best Not to Count on Sears over the Long Term



For Mighty Sears, Pictures of Decay.  (The New York Times, 10/29/2013)

Excerpt:   When Brian Sozzi, the chief executive of Belus Capital Advisors, visited Sears locations in New York and New Jersey this month, he said, he found barren shelves, haphazard displays and badly stained carpets. 

Also missing: customers.

My favorite aspect of Sears' history.



The History and Future of Sears.  (Investopedia, 1/16/2012)

This doesn't sound like a promising set-up.  You might best know Sears as the department store where your grandparents shopped, but the company has a long and storied history.

It's not.   Few people are betting on a revitalization of the retail arm of Sears; not even the company itself. In 2010, Sears announced that it would sell its Craftsman and Kenmore brands in other retail stores like Costco and Ace Hardware.

My parents -- Dad was born in 1915, Mom in 1920 -- loved shopping at Sears.  Me, not so much, an retail assessment I had made by the time I was in my teens.  As for my 2 sons, they would never shop at Sears by choice.

A narrative history of Sears.

I've been told this this house at 11 Wilson Street in Warren PA 16365 is a Sears home but haven't been able to verify.



No comments: