History | Appleton Public Library
- APL's Private Origins
- The City Takes Over
- Growth and Building Projects
- Innovative Service
- Cooperation and Technology
- Community Support
- Celebrate the Past, Look to the Future
- 1887. Privately operated community reading room opens.
- 1888. YMCA takes over operation of reading room.
- 1894. Fire destroys most of reading room contents
- 1896. Community reading room opens on Oneida Street
- 1897. 1st publicly owned library and reading room opens. (September 1)
- 1900. New municipal building open at 121 S. Oneida; library occupies 1st floor
- 1939. City offices move to new location; library expands to 2nd floor.
- 1954. Library remodeling project.
- 1981. Dedication of new library at 225 N. Oneida (present location)
- 1995. Library renovation.
- 2015. Appleton council votes down library land purchase.