Sunday, June 16, 2013

Almost Father's Day 1939


The photo was taken one week before Father's Day 1939. (June 11th).

Dad, shown here with his parents Anna Maria Magnusson Nelson and Carl John Herman Nelson, was the first member of his family to graduate from college. ("Tiny" Augustana, Rock Island, Illinois.)

In spite of the somber poses, I can assure you that Swedes have a playful, fun-loving side.

Father's Day 2013.  Today I'm remembering with pride the profound effect Dad had on the people he served in his 38+ years of ministry in the Lutheran Church (LCA/ELCA).

Messiah Lutheran Church congregation poses for a picture on April 4, 1944.   Dad is in the first row, 2nd from the left.



August 30, 1981. A very emotional day as the members of St. Paul's Lutheran Church say farewell to their beloved pastor.

From the Warren Times-Observer, August 31, 1981

I almost lost it when Bill Brader, lifetime member of St. Paul's and a representative on the Church Council, confided to me, "Right now I just want to curl up in a corner and cry my eyes out."

A heartfelt tribute to Dad's ministry that still moistens my eyes 32 years later.

No comments: