Source: Madison (WI) City Directory, 1941
Historical Development of the Nakoma Neighborhood. By the mid-1920s, new houses were appearing on every street of the original plat. Replats of several blocks by the Madison Realty Co. in 1922 and 1926 added to the number of available lots.
In 1928, more replats and the first addition to the original plat were recorded. This was the Randall Addition, which expanded the original plat in a southwest direction along Nakoma Road and Cherokee Drive.
New construction continued unabated until the deepening of the Great Depression in 1931 and 1932 brought real estate activity in Madison and in Nakoma to a halt. Even the annexation of Nakoma into the City of Madison in 1931 failed to spur construction, which did not resume on any scale until 1934.
By 1936, however, construction had resumed at a pace that was even greater than in the 1920s. Several more new additions were added to the original plat in 1936, 1937, 1938 and 1939. By 1945, nearly all of the lots in the pre-World War II portions of Nakoma were occupied.
Built in 1938
Nakoma Historic District
Column graph 1: Postal receipts. (12/11/2013)
Column graph 2: Gas meters. (12/12/2013)
Column graph 3: Telephones. (12/14/2013)
Column graph 4: Births. (12/17/2013)