Consumer Reports: Laundry detergent 'pods' too dangerous to recommend. (USA Today, 7/16/2015)
In 2013, U.S. poison control centers logged 10,877 calls about children under age 6 who ingested, inhaled or got detergent from the packets on their skin; in 2014, they counted 11,714 such calls. With 6,036 calls in the first half of 2015, "the trend is only going up," DiClerico says. That's despite the fact that manufacturers have taken steps such as making outer packages opaque and harder to open. They also have participated in public education campaigns.