Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Interview with Tom Nelson, Assembly Majority Leader

Link to December 31 Appleton Post-Crescent Community Conversation feature, "Burning Questions: Kaukauna Democrat Tom Nelson discusses new role as Wisconsin Assembly majority leader".

The 32-year-old, 2-term legislator, Nelson (D-Kaukauna) was re-elected to the 5th Assembly District in November, and the elected by his Democratic Assembly colleagues to the position of Majority Leader on November 13.

Like Retiring Guy, Tom is a PK.

Excerpt:
Who or what was your biggest influence?

I have to go back to an experience that happened when I was 4 or 5 years old. My dad brought our family to the Valley to start the Christ the King Lutheran Church in the Heart of the Valley. He began that ministry by going door-to-door inviting our neighbors in the community to join us at this new church. Just as my dad found that he could serve his community through his ministry, I found I could best serve my community through politics.

I believe that politics is a high calling. This job is extremely important to me. I've worked very hard. I've knocked on over 85,000 doors. And because the Democrats were in a position to take over the Assembly, I was able to run for this leadership post. It offers a seat at the table to make decisions on issues I care passionately about.

No comments: