Sunday, April 23, 2023

Covid Chronicles. Chapter 28: Foggy Glasses

Read chapter 27 here

Photo by Retiring Guy

Thursday, April 23 


The New York Times published this helpful article a couple of days ago, one of its most-read, shared, and discussed of the week. Among the tidbits of advice: 
Medical masks have built-in, bendable metal strips that you can mold to the bridge of your nose.     
At the Red Cross, I put the mask on while I was in motion, not concerned about how it fit as I planned to wear it only for a few minutes at most. Who knows? I might even had worn with the metal strip aligning with my chin. 

Both JoAnna and I kept the masks we were issued, and earlier this morning I decided to give mine another try, molding the metal strip to the bridge of my nose with a strong pinch of my fingers. 

It worked! I expected my first exhale to fog my lenses, but they remained clear for the five minutes I kept the mask on. 

After yesterday’s visit to the Willy Street Coop, I’m tempted to use it during future shopping trip. Most of the customers in the store at the time worse some type of face covering, a few looking more like veils than masks. Every time I noticed someone without a mask, an infrequent occurrence, I wanted to breathe a sigh of relief. I felt as though we were breaking house rules, although no one shot us an accusatory look or, worse, shamed us for our uncovered faces. The store currently does not require customers to wear a mask. 

Ironically, Willy Street is the only business we regularly patronize where I feel uncomfortable shopping.

Read chapter 29 here

No comments: