Michelangelo worked on his marble sculpture of the Biblical hero David from 1501 to 1504.
It was originally commissioned to be one of a series of sculptures positioned along the roofline of Florence's Duomo Therebut was instead placed, on a base built for this purpose, in a public square in front of the Palazzo della Signoria, Florence's main government building. (The Palazzo della Signoria is now known as Palazzo Vecchio, which we also toured today.)
The statue is 14 feet 3 inches tall.
"David" has been displayed at the Accademia Gallery since 1873. It took 3 days to move the statue from its original location.
There are many copies of "David", including one placed at the statue's original location.