Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Just Placed a Hold on This Book

Link to where I learned about it. (Thanks again, boingboing.)

Excerpt:
Grounded in history and science, True Enough paints a dismal picture of a species with a limitless capacity for self-deception and selective reasoning. But Manjoo doesn't ascribe the rise of truthiness to fragmented media alone: he calls out PR firms, media outlets and others who have profited from the erosion of the truth.

Sounds like some timely reading, especially as we're going through another "here-we-go-again" moment. P. T. Barnum would be so proud of us.

And as long as I'm the topic of reading.....

In reference to this post.....

After reading the first 3 stories, I can report that "Knockemstiff" by Donald Ray Pollock is some powerful stuff. Let me put it this way. Pollock is like Flannery O'Connor on acid -- and I mean this as the ultimate compliment! (Nobody writes better than Flannery.)

No comments: