Step 1: A real property inventory
- What does the state own?
- Where is it located?
- What is the condition of what the state owns?
- What is the value of what the state owns?
- What is the best use of what the state owns?
Sidebar: The two most common and effective ways of extracting value from government assets are
- asset divestiture (the outright sale of government land or assets) and
- asset leases (long-term leases of public assets to private sector investor-operators)
Step 2: The governor should commission a review to categorize all state-owned property and move toward asset divestiture and realignment opportunities.
Step 3: Assemble a procurement team to prioritize asset lease opportunities
Step 4: Incentivize quick identification and disposal.
Step 5: Contract with the private sector to conduct a market-value disposal of surplus property.
A bibliography lists two additional resources, both of which are published by Reason Foundation, which, according to its website, advances a free society by developing, applying, and promoting libertarian principles, including individual liberty, free markets, and the rule of law.