Thursday, November 11, 2010

Books and More at the Poynette Public Library


Link to November 4 Poynette Press article by Mary Jo Borchardt, "The library's newest patron".

Excerpt: How can I fully express our collective love for the library? They had me at 'free books.' It's, of course, a literary all-you-can-eat smorgasbord, making it possible for me to locate and place on hold no less than 40 children's Halloween books last week. Forty. For free, or a few bucks here and there in overdue fines, which I happily write off as a cost of doing business.

Lest I come across as a glutton, I must go on to say that the library has given us so much more than books. When we moved to the area three years ago, we lamented the fact that we were neither a school-bound nor church-going family, the most common avenues to meet people when you're new in town. Young Isadora and I set off for the library with hopes that there we might find a spot to mingle within the community.

We discovered toddler story time and attended almost religiously. Through story time, I caught wind of a new group for knitters that was just beginning to meet weekly at the library. I knit! So I went, not knowing what to expect. To my great surprise, I found that I wasn't alone here at all - there were all kinds of fantastic women with common interests. A year later, it was this same group of women, my dear Knitting Friends, who showered our home with unbelievably delicious home-cooked meals after the birth of our son, Errol.

Really, Library - you had me at free books. Finding these friends (in town!) was so much more than I bargained for
.

No comments: