Statistical source for all of the above:
Institute of Museum and Library Services, Public Libraries Survey, Fiscal Year 2009
43.53 Joint libraries.
(1) Joint libraries may be created
- by any 2 or more municipalities or
- by a county and one or more municipalities
Sidebar: Wisconsin examples. 2 or more municipalities. (A district library in name only. Legally, a joint library under chapter 43.)
A county and one or more municipalities.
(2) Joint library agreements under sub. (1) shall contain provisions necessary to establish a library board under s. 43.54, including a procedure for adjusting the membership of the board to ensure that it remains representative of the populations of the participating municipalities, as shown by the most recent federal census, under s. 43.54 (1m) (a) 1.; perform the duties under s. 43.58; and own and operate the physical facilities.
A joint library agreement shall also do all of the following:
(a) Name one of the participants as the library's fiscal agent, who is responsible for the
- benefit administration,
- insurance, and
- financial record keeping and
- auditing for the library.
(b) Include a procedure for the distribution of a joint library's assets and liabilities if the joint library is dissolved.
Sidebar: Examples of agreements.
Original Sussex/Lisbon Agreement (Effective date 1/1/1998)
1971 Senate Bill 47. 43.56. Joint library boards.
1985 Wisconsin Act 177. 43.56 is renumbered 43.53 and amended.
1989 Wisconsin Act 286. 43.53 (3) is created.
1995 Wisconsin Act 270. 43.53 (1) is amended.
2005 Wisconsin Act 420.
- 43.53 (2) is renumbered 43.53 (2) (intro.) and amended .
- 43.53 (2) (a) and (b) are created.
Part 1: Legislative findings and declaration of policy.
Part 2: Definitions.
Part 3: General duties of the State Superintendent.
Part 4: General duties of the Division.
Part 5: Council on Library and Network Development.
Part 6: Certificates and standards..
Part 7: County library planning committees.
Part 8: County payment for library service.
Part 9: Division review
Part 10. Standards for public library systems.
Part 11. Resource libraries.
Part 12: Public library systems; general provisions.
Part 13. Withdrawal, abolition, and expulsion.
Part 14. Federated public library systems.
Part 15. Consolidated public library systems.
Part 16. State aid.
Part 17. Public library records.
Part 18. Municipal libraries.