This is why American's prison system is broken. (Business Insider, 9/27/2015)
- 1 in 100 American adults are incarcerated.
- U.S. percentage of world population is 5%; U.S. percentage of prisoners is about 22%
- 70%: The chance that an African-American man without a high school diploma will be imprisoned by his mid-30s.
- $88,000 is the cost per year to house one juvenile in a detention center
- 40% is the amount that earnings drop after serving time in prison
- Minorities comprise 60% of U.S. prison population (compared to 38.4% of total U.S. population
- More than 40 states charge inmates for room and during jail and prison stays
- Nearly half of all inmates in federal prisons have been convicted of a drug offense
- U.S. prison population had quadrupled since 1980.
Related article:Reducing Mass Incarceration Requires Far-Reaching Reforms. (urban.org)
Not glib statements are "renewing American values".
What Republicans believe: Traditional marriage. (7/20/2016)
What Republicans believe: Education as indoctrination. (7/20/2016)