Breese Stevens Athletic Field, located on 917 E. Mifflin Street, is a historical landmark owned and operated by the City of Madison Parks Division. It's used primarily as a soccer facility where area high schools including East, LaFollette, West, Memorial and Edgewood High, and Edgewood College and the Madison 56ers soccer team have all played.
A view from where Brearly crosses East Washington.
- 1923. City block bordered by East Washington, North Brearly, East Mifflin, and North Paterson is purchased by the City of Madison from the widow of former Mayor Breese J. Stevens.
- 1925. City of Madison hires local architect Louis Clarke and Edward Starck to design facility.
- 1926. Construction completed. (Dedicated on May 6.)
- 1934. Stone walls constructed, a federal Civil Works Administration project.
- 1938. Jesse Owens runs in 3 exhibition races.
- 1941. Warren Spahn pitches as a minor-leaguer for the Evansville Bees.
- 1947. Satchel Paige, pitcher for Kansas City Monarchs, notches a win against the Industrial League All-Stars, 14-5.
- 1982. Converted to a soccer facility.
- 1995. Designated as a City of Madison landmark.
- 2007. Beginning of a series of renovations.
- 2011. Pressbox installed.
Madison Central, West, and East high schools played their football games here until the late 1960s.
A view from the east side of the field.
Photos by Retiring Guy