Link to November 21 LibraryJournal.com post, "Nashville Mayor Proposes Public Library Run School Libraries".
Nashville Mayor Karl Dean points to the following benefits:
- Consolidated procurement of materials and attendant cost savings
- Centralized collection development
- Combined check-out systems to increase efficiency
- Consolidated staff with ongoing staff training
- Private fundraising efforts for school libraries
- Improved school library space
Here's a very short article from the Nashville Tennessean, which includes the following quote from Mayor Dean: This is an opportunity to develop the best school library and public library system in the country, and our students and community deserve nothing less.
Hope he's true to his word.