Sunday, July 10, 2011

"Crueller" Than What?

From the Food Network websiteSometimes a cruller is a doughnut dough leavened with yeast or baking powder that's shaped into a long twist, deep fried and sprinkled with sugar or glazed with a thin icing. The traditional French cruller is made from pate a choux and is basically hollow. The word "cruller" comes from the Dutch word "krulle" or "krullen," meaning twisted cake.

No matter what the method, a cruller is the among the tastiest of pastries in Retiring Guy's cookbook.

1 comment:

Gerard said...