For example, they're being snookered into paying for Trump's wall.
Related reading:An Analysis of Trump Supporters Has Identified 5 Key Traits. (Psychology Today, 12/1/2017)
- Authoritarian personality syndrome (strict obedience to authority at the expense of personal freedom)
- Social dominance orientation (high dominance groups have authority over low dominance groups)
- Prejudice (ears perk up to 'dog whistles'; close parallels to far-right Europeans supporters)
- Intergroup contact (significantly less contact with minorities than other Americans)
- Relative deprivation (feeling of discontent when comparing their position in life to others they feel are equal or inferior but have unfairly had more success than them)