A 1980 view from the observation deck of the John Hancock building, back when its neighbor to the north was occupied by Playboy.
Photo by Retiring Guy
Luxury living of which Hef himself would approve.
A very much abridged Palmolive/Playboy/Palmolive building timeline:
- 1929. 37-story, Art Deco building completed and become the home of the Colgate-Palmolive-Peet Corporation. ('Peet' was dropped in 1953.)
- 1965. Becomes home of the editorial and business offices of Playboy. (Until 1989, when its operations were moved to Lake Shore Drive.)
- 2000. Designated a Chicago landmark.
- 2001. Renamed the Palmolive Building.
- 2003. Added to National Register of Historic Places
More information and a more detailed timeline is found at Chicago Architecture Info.
Willis Tower, Sears Tower and the name game over time and titles. (Chicago Tribune, 3/6/2015)