Wednesday, September 2, 2015

A setback for Jeff Scott's "next-generation" library services



Scott’s abrupt departure comes in the wake of a controversy over the weeding of books at Berkeley’s central library, which has put the library director on the defensive over the past few weeks. Criticism centered on his management style and his perceived honesty.  
“It is with a heavy heart that I tender my resignation as the Director of Library Services of the Berkeley Public Library. I have enjoyed my work here at the library and I am proud of what we have been able to accomplish,” Scott said in a prepared statement.

Don't expect these weeding brouhahas to fade away anytime soon.


Here's what I suspect, although I have no scientific evidence to back it up. 
  
Libraries where weeding is an integral part of collection development, a key task done on an ongoing basis rather than in periodic fits and starts, are able to avoid controversy.  Weeding becomes a seamless process as a result.

Related post:
Sounds to me as though Jeff Scott's initial tally of 2,274 weeded books falls well outside the bounds of "an honest mistake".  (8/14/2015)

No comments: