The Madison Trust for Historic Preservation has decided to withdraw their historic landmark nomination of a nearby building that, if preserved, would significantly limit the WHS project design.
The massive proposal, to be funded by the state and a WHS campaign, would redevelop the current museum on the first block of North Carroll Street and expand on the neighboring properties to create a 100,000 square-foot museum. Hovde Properties and landowner Fred Mohs would build up to 250,000 square-feet of commercial and residential space on top of the museum. [emphasis added]
Source: Wisconsin Democracy Campaign
Original 12/12/2014 post, "The Churchill Building, 16 North Carroll Street, Madison Wisconsin", starts here.
Photo by Retiring Guy
Year construction completed: 1915.
- Madison's 1st skyscraper (134 feet)
- Tallest building outside of Milwaukee until completion of State Capitol (1917)
- Originally known as the Gay Building; name changed in 1974
Architectural style: Beaux Arts
Architect: James R. Law, Jr., who also designed the Madison Masonic Temple.
Controversy during the building's construction resulted in the implementation of a height limit for buildings constructed around the Capitol Square, which was overruled by the Wisconsin Supreme Court in 1923.
The Beaux Arts Belmont Hotel opened in 1924.
From Retiring Guy's postcard collection