Tuesday, June 3, 2014

What's the Big Attraction Here?

was surprised by the Trevi Fountain's "tucked-away" location.  After walking the two blocks of the narrow Via Dei Sabini, we encountered a large gathering of people, sitting and standing around as if waiting for dolphins to perform, and heard the indistinct sound of cascading water.

This is it? I asked myself, slightly underwhelmed at first. 


Once I studied the design detail, which includes the central figure of the Ocean flanked by Abundance and Good Health, I was able to tune out the distracting surroundings.  Not without some difficulty, I managed to find a location where no people were included in the frame of the photo.

Even in 1960, I imagine it was only in the movies when someone could have the fountain all to herself.
(Dang it, I can't figure out how to add a YouTube video to this post using an iPad.)

No comments: