Sunday, August 12, 2012

Parting Shots When Letting, or Being Let, Go

Parting is Such Sweet Revenge. (The New York Times, 8/11/2012)

NYT excerpt 1:  After four years at a hotel in Providence, R.I., Joey DeFrancesco handed in his notice, accompanied by a dozen members of the band in which he plays trumpet, along with a friend to act as a videographer.





NYT excerpt 2It seems unlikely that Dan Harmon will be working for NBC anytime soon. In May, after he was fired from “Community,” the TV comedy he had created, he took to Tumblr contradicting a statement from the network president that implied he would have a continuing role in the show.

\

NYT excerpt 3When Aaron Brown was fired as a CNN anchor, he was contractually precluded from speaking about it for several years. With the muzzle taken off, he was reproachful on The Huffington Post (“I didn’t think the viewers were behind me when we did dumb television”) and downright cheeky on MediaBistro, where he scoffed: “I know the difference between journalism and a slogan.


NYT excerpt 4:    The title of Max Zachariades’s blog post at TechCrunch was “Frustration, Disappointment and Apathy: My Years at Microsoft,” a screed about the software giant’s management style after he was fired. “It was a way to empower myself,” he said. “Very often in corporate settings, there is no freedom of expression. I was told that if I took them to court, I wouldn’t win — they were too big. So instead I took the whole thing online. Social media allows a speeding up of karma.”

NYT Excerpt 5:  Once called the most powerful woman on Wall Street, Sallie Krawcheck took to Twitter this year after being fired from Bank of America, needing far fewer than 140 characters to take satisfying bites from the hand that no longer feeds her.

No comments: