Saturday, August 20, 2011

Unemployed 54-Year-Old Kiel Resident: "My Internet is the public library."


Letter to the editor: "Entitlements are often necessary". (Appleton Post-Crescent, 8/19/2011)

Excerpt:   At age 54 bad times have caught up with me and I lost my job. I've applied for hundreds of jobs, all paying way below the amount I was making. I have had only a few interviews. I have spent money taking classes to update my skills and résumé, working with employment agencies, doing whatever possible.

I know a lot of other people my age are having the same problems. I've worked hard all my life at every job you can think of just to work. I went to school, paying my own way to try and have a better future. Now, after working for more than 35 years, I need help.

I don't live beyond my means. I don't have cable TV. My Internet is the public library. I rarely go out and I have huge medical bills because I lost my insurance
.

No comments: