Retiring Guy was born in Auburn, Washington. (Not to be confused with this Paul Everett Nelson.)
Auburn Library to close, make way for expansion, renovation. (Auburn Reporter, 5/9/2011)
Excerpt: King County residents supported a $172 million capital bond in September 2004 to pay for the Auburn Library project among other library expansions and renovations.
The expansion will add 5,000 square feet to the library, most noticeably in the form of a glass-paneled addition that will expand into a portion of the parking space on the east side of the building.
Among the other features will be:
• An expanded children's area.
• A new meeting room in the northeast corner of the addition, serving as a quiet space when it is not a meeting room. When there is not a gathering in the current meeting room, it will be closed, locked and unavailable. The new meeting room will feature sliding glass doors to make it a more interactive, multi-use space.
• The relocation of bathrooms to the west side of the building and an expanded entrance way and media area in the space the restrooms now occupy.
• A quiet study area that will significantly increase the amount of seating space.
• An automated material handling system that will let patrons check in their books and get a receipt for them.
• Additional spaces for laptops and additional laptops for check out. The library will keep the same amount of fixed computers.