Link to May 19 Kansas City Star article, "Kansas City Public Library confronts a rise in security violations".
Anymore, that’s not the only thing librarians must tell patrons.
Leave your gun at home. Do not assault other patrons. Please stop bathing in the restroom. Refrain from viewing pornography on the Internet. Do not lurk in the children’s area unless you have business there.
Lately, Kansas City Public Library officials said, such security violations have become more serious, more numerous and more costly to combat.
The library board met Tuesday with police and community leaders to discuss the situation and ways to improve it.
Increase in offenses, 2008-2009
- +49%. Public display of explicit sexual material or child pornography.
- +105%. Controlled substances or alcohol.
- +75%. Offensive/threatening gestures.
- +16%. Physical altercations.
- +275%. Sexual misconduct.
- +500%. Bodily hygiene.