Friday, March 19, 2010
Recommended Reading: "How today's college students use Wikipedia for course-related research"
A research article by Alison J. Head and Michael B. Eisenberg, published at First Monday (Peer-Reviewed Journal on the Internet).
Includes the following graphs and tables.
1. How often do students use Wikipedia during the course-related search process?
2. Why do students use Wikipedia for course-related research?
3. At which stage in the research process is Wikipedia used by students?
4. Which resources do students turn to for obtaining background on a topic? (Librarians rank 14th out of 15th, trailing friends, classmates, and instructors. If not for blogs, a last resort.)
5. Predicting the probability of use Wikipedia during course-related research.