Friday, September 25, 2009

Oak Brook (IL) Public Library: No More Mr. Nice Guy

Although from the sound of it, someone never earned that moniker.

Link to TheDoings-OakBrook.com post, "Residents protest Oak Brook library cuts".

In this corner, we have Hope Sabbagha.

I went in there today to find a book for my daughter. There was nobody there to help me. I'm very disappointed in your priorities. I feel that what you have done shows that you do not take the library as a priority. I heard we're going to get rid of things that aren't necessary in our village. The library is very necessary in our village."

And in this corner, we have Mr. Xinos.

"....step up to the plate and do something about it. I don't care that you guys miss the librarian and that she was nice and that she helped you find books. I want the policeman to answer 24 hours per day, and the fireman, that's what I want."

The "step up and do something about it" involves library supporters asking village residents to restore the cuts to the library out of their own pockets.

Is this another one of those 21st century ideas?

(Thanks to Sue Mannix for the link!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only silver lining in this story is that the despicable Mr. Xinos is 69, and won't be with us much longer, we can hope.