Saturday, February 14, 2009

Job Seekers Open Lab at the Hedberg Public Library

Link to February 14 Janesville Gazette article.

Excerpt: In 25 years, Nancy Cronin has advanced from file clerk at the bank where she works to vice president of operations.

But she’s nervous.

“I’m scared for my job,” the 53-year-old Janesville woman said.

The bank has been sold, and her position is being reevaluated by a new board of directors.

So on Wednesday, she took advantage of Job Seekers Open Lab at the Hedberg Public Library. Cronin wants to network with others, enroll in short classes, take online tutorials and polish her computer skills.

“I’m going to do what I can to keep up. I don’t have to be a victim. I can decide to learn, grow and change. I’m not getting put out to pasture. I know I’m valuable, have skills and am intelligent,’’ she said.

Mary Buelow, head of reference and adult services, said the library began offering the three-hour Job Seekers Open Lab in January after seeing more demand for basic computer classes. It also was in response to the area’s high unemployment and the library’s loss of a computer trainer.

Link to February 12 New York Times article, "Ex-G.M. Workers Try to Reboot Their Lives".

No comments: